Saturday, January 10, 2009

Strange evening...

Yesterday evening was like most around here. Dinner, start on chores, etc. etc. etc.! (Note: That was being said JUST like in the King and I with Yul Brenner, I REALLY like that movie.)
Anyway!!! To change things up last night... Instead of yours truly going to get the milk cows up, I asked my grandmother to so I could get the dry cows fed BEFORE it got dark. NOT a problem. Well while I'm out feeding the above mentioned non-lactating bovine, things are happening without my knowledge. The power is going out. So at a quarter to 6 last night we were with out power. My grandmother thought she was the one who caused it as she hit a guide wires and sparks flew! She felt so bad. But we all know accidents happen. A few hours later, we find out it wasn't her at all. After all the pole and lines were still up. Three breakers and the sub-station were out.

None of this bothers me or my choring. I'm used to doing things in the dark. The only hurdle I had was figuring out how to drain the hot water heater to warm the "boys" bottles. After that I went to the house and Kris and I started to get wood in before it started raining. I decided to let the cows off the big holding area since if we didn't have power back in 2.5 hours it was going to be a LONG wait.

Power finally came back on around 11 last night and we milked early this AM. I so love electricity! It's a wonderful thing... water, lights, my computer, :) Has anyone ever noticed that the moment you lose power the first thing that happens is you get thirsty and have to use the bathroom? WHY is that!? I would really like to know what caused the power outage. I'm sure we'll find out from J.B. who is bringing some hay later on today. The Mennonites know everything!

All is going well this AM... the moos are milked and fed, and so are the mini moos. I didn't fall like I did yesterday morning. Let me tell y'all... concrete doesn't "give". Thankfully my arms were full of hay and my head fell into it rather than the concrete. My knee however wasn't so fortunate.

Well I'm off to do something... what I don't know. :) Maybe I'll make a comment on the Hoard's Dairyman Blog. It just hit me the wrong way. Besides I've not gotten up on my dairy soapbox in a long time.

No comments: