Saturday, August 21, 2010

H.O.H.

Otherwise known as Hell on Hooves... that's the tentative name of a new heifer calf that was born over a week ago. I've never seen a calf so quick, graceful, able to leap a tall milk-barn in a single bound, as this thick haired (hopefully not a sign of the winter to come) blond  beauty.

For several days we tried to catch her. Mother Clair... named after the Farside Clair, with the over sized brain who KNEW something was a miss... would always keep her little nutty darling away from us, or baby would just fly through the holding pen. But FINALLY I won! I had her! She was MINE!... This was less than thrilling when it came time to feed baby.

She was ticked... that little tail would just switch from side to side, mouth clamped down, pulling with all her little might to break the halter tying her in the barn. We tried the bottle... gurgle, spit, flop, play dead, then open one eye to see if the tall wonderful, marvelous, angelic person  was still standing above her... :)  So we do this a few more times... after 10 minutes or so the horns holding up the halo were beginning to show... so I march off to the barn and get the tube feeder. I'll show HER I thought. Famous last words of a soon to be bitten, bruised, hot and sweaty person.

Needless to say she was one of the worst we've ever had to tube. She flipped twice, kicked like a she devil not that I know what that's like, but it would describe what I imagine it would be like, it took two of us to get her half gallon of milk down. And she was NOT happy when we were done.

Next morning she was better, took a bottle like a semi sane baby, that night I let her loose after she took her bottle like a good girl, and this AM she is my new BFF. Wanting to have her ears and head scratched, loved, and petted, and starting to act like the other goaty calves. Yes... the goats are teaching the calves how to be a goat...

It was funny when we brought her in a tied her, Treasure... you know my sweet little goat kid... was up in the feed ally, stand above her and looking down and then up at me. I swear if she could have talked it would have been... "You know, I NEVER acted like THAT, I'm a good girl... can I have an animal cracker now?!"

No comments: