Saturday, October 09, 2010

Never a dull moment...

Soooo here's the scoop.... Last week a neighbor of ours that has a bordering pasture came and asked if we had seen an Elk... He's raising them and they are in rut and from what he said they got to fighting, broke a heavy duty gate and 4 of the 9 bucks went walk about. They managed to get 3 back in but Elliot (that's what I've named him...) just kept right on truckin'.

We were warned if we see him CALL ASAP, they would charge (don't know if that's true... our neighbors are kinda flighty...) anyway for the past week every rustle I was picturing an emerging Elk..., yet none came forth.

Fast forward to this morning at the crack of after dawn... being more of an afternoon kinda person I thought I was seeing things when I looked up from feeding the babies, and there in all of his glory, head alert, scanning the pasture... he was only a 100 feet or less from the big barn. Oh how I wished I would have had my camera... Anyway by the time I came to my senses I called JH only to be told it was his bother... anyway he called him and in what seemed FOREVER (really only 10 minutes or less) MH comes in the drive.

I will end it there... and only say they were not going to dart it as we once thought and why do we have to live so close to a butcher shop... and thankfully Elliot manged to hoof it 2 miles in those 15 minutes. I did managed to get 2 pics with my phone... now if I only knew how to post them to FB or here... that would be so awesome!!!!!! I will never forget today... it's been the highlight of my year...

Can I have an Elk for Christmas? :) Just like the one down at MH's a real live Elk for my very own, OH what wonderful things we could do...

PS. The goats freaked OUT when he came sauntering up towards the barn... that was kinda funny...

1 comment:

threecollie said...

Oh, my, that is more excitement than I ever want to have. If you would like I will give you the email addy of one of my kids who know how to put phone pics up on the net. I do know you can email them to yourself if you have internet on your phone and then put them up. Let me know...